The Map Room in Chicago made its debut in November 1992, embracing a traveler’s theme that would shape its unique identity. This thematic foundation was woven together with an eclectic collection of maps, National Geographic magazines, travel books, and an extensive array of beers sourced globally.
Gratitude is owed to brewer Greg Browne and the Chicago Beer Society, whose invaluable guidance was pivotal. Their expertise enabled the establishment to curate a beer selection that paid homage to brewing traditions from around the world.
Nonetheless, a remarkable beer collection alone does not define a remarkable space. Yet, it is a promising beginning, as beer is a universal and egalitarian drink, bridging individual gaps. The objective: to craft a bar that would function as a “third place,” fostering a sense of community. This aspiration aims to unite people from diverse backgrounds to forge friendships.
On The Tap
Justly proud of its beer menu, The Map Room also boasts a comprehensive full-service bar featuring an impressive array of wines, top-shelf liquors, a couple of ciders, mead, and even gluten-free beers.
Serving sizes are not just about the liquid in the glass; they also include the right amount of foam for specific styles. It’s all about nailing the perfect balance that suits each type of beer. So, it’s not just about the pour but the art of it.
The Map Room Chicago’s Delightful Beer Offerings
- Around the Bend Vera- It is a delicate and nutty Cream Ale poured on nitro for that extra creaminess. You’ll find a fascinating flavor combo of pistachio with a touch of fresh lemon zest. It’s like a cozy hug in a glass!
- Art History Gravitace- It is made using floor-malted Bohemian Pilsner Malts and Zuper Saaz hops. It’s a prime example of a Czech-style Pils that’ll take your taste buds on a journey.
- Begyle Neighborly- They call it a ‘Double Dry Stout,’ it’s as smooth and dry as it gets, with a robust, roasty backbone that’ll make your palate dance.
- Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet– This brew refers to a recipe from the 1679 Carmelite monastery. It’s a blend of barley, oats, and wheat, creating a complex and world-class Tripel Ale. Nature’s gifts in a glass!
- Firestone Walker Mind Haze- It is a juicy New England-style IPA that boasts a unique mix of hops. It wraps up with a dry, clean finish, just enough bitterness to keep things interesting.
- Half Acre Daisy Cutter– This American Pale Ale is ‘lush and dank,’ delivering delightful notes of pine and citrus. Waves of malt hit you before a nice, dry finish wraps it up.
- Köstritzer Schwarzbier- It is a real gem. It’s all about the unique roasting of malting barley that gives this Schwarzbier its incredible character. Super toasty and pleasing to the palate, a Black Beer stands out.
Cheers to the diverse flavors and stories each brew brings to The Map Room’s table!
Morning Menu at The Map Room
Alright, let’s delve into The Map Room’s warm and inviting beverages:
- Americano- It’s like a shot of espresso that’s been given a little more room to stretch its legs. Diluted with hot water, it’s bold and smooth, perfect for a wake-up call.
- Cappuccino- If you’re looking for a balanced blend of espresso and velvety steamed milk, the Cappuccino is your go-to. It’s like a cozy hug in a cup, with that dusting of cocoa on top adding a touch of indulgence.
- Mocha- It is your ticket to chocolate-infused paradise. Espresso meets luscious chocolate, and then milk joins the party. It’s like sipping on a liquid dessert!
- Cortado- For those seeking a bolder espresso experience, the Cortado is the star. Equal parts espresso and steamed milk create a harmonious concoction that’s strong yet smooth, just like a well-tuned symphony.
- Macchiato- Now, if you’re all about the essence of espresso, the Macchiato is here to captivate. It’s a shot of espresso with a dollop of foamed milk, delivering that rich coffee punch with a hint of creaminess.
- Hot Chocolate- It’s not just for kids! Indulge your inner child with this velvety blend of warm milk and decadent cocoa. Topped with a swirl of whipped cream, it’s a treat that transcends age.
Whether you’re after a bold jolt, a comforting embrace, or a delightful dance of flavors, The Map Room’s selection of hot beverages has something to warm every soul.
The Map Room Chicago isn’t just a bar—it’s a journey for the senses. With its captivating traveler’s theme, global beer selection, and warm community spirit, it’s more than just a nice place to drink in Chicago. From its diverse beers on tap to the morning menu’s comforting sips, it’s a haven where flavors and friendships intertwine.